Affordable Housing

Housing can take many forms.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has a website that offers examples of affordable housing such as social housing, types of home ownership models,  and the granting programs that are available to groups or individuals who wish to create their own form of affordable housing.

Financing the creation of a home can be complicated and need to be examined for on-going legal and financial impacts, such as:  impacts on ODSP, legal decision-making, taxation and on-going sustainability.

Some forms of ownership include:

  • home owned by individual with a disability
  • joint ownership which could include individual with a disability
  • home held in a testamentary (Henson) or inter-vivos (living) trust
  • home owned by a small non-profit corporation such as an Aroha
  • home owned by a partnership of two families
  • individual with a disability rents a home owned by a family member

Social Housing

Social Housing refers to rental housing subsidized by the government.  Social  housing for people with disabilities is available through the Social Housing registry in Ottawa (which includes rural communities outside the city), Renfrew County  and Leeds-Grenville – but the lists are very long.  This registry includes housing – apartments and town houses – where the rent is reasonable. It also includes cooperative social housing.

Will  My ODSP increase If I Move Out of My Family Home

ODSP will increase your monthly payments to cover the cost of rent, but only up to maximum

An individual on ODSP can live in a home given to them or purchased for them by their families. But the cost of paying bills to manage a home can be expensive and  collecting rent from others to help pay the costs may affect your ODSP.

Will I Get Money From the Government to Help Me

There is no provision in the Social Inclusion Act to fund residential supports and services except when an Agency runs the home. There is no provision for direct funding to pay for residential supports.

How Do I Take the First Step

Deciding to move out and live on your own is a big decision and requires help from your family, friends and helpers.  It takes a lot of planning – here is an example, from the Lights program (Community Living Toronto) of the kinds of questions that you might want to talk about.  We do not have a similar organization to Lights here in the Ottawa area, but you might get some help from a case manager at Service Coordination or a social worker.




Many communities in Ontario have started researching alternative housing initiatives.  The MCSS Housing Task Force is funding projects across the province.  Check out projects on Partners for Planning website