The Disability Advocacy Network of Eastern Ontario (DANEO) Réseau d’Action pour l’Inclusion des personnes handicapées de l’Est Ontarien (RAIPHEO) is a coalition of people labelled with intellectual disabilities, their families and allies.
We advocate for the rights of citizens labelled with intellectual/developmental disabilities to have access to the same opportunities and choices as other Ontarians. Following Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD),
- a) persons with disabilities have the opportunity to choose their place of residence and where and with whom they live on an equal basis with others and are not obliged to live in a particular living arrangement;
- b) persons with disabilities have access to a range of in-home, residential and other community support services, including personal assistance necessary to support living and inclusion in the community, and to prevent isolation or segregation from the community;
- c) community services and facilities for the general population are available on an equal basis to persons with disabilities and are responsive to their needs.
We promote these rights by:
- Advocating with governmental and other agencies on issues affecting families and individuals labelled with intellectual disabilities
- Taking collective action to raise living standards and tackle the causes of disability poverty in Ontario
- Sharing informationbetween citizens labelled with intellectual/developmental disabilities and their families and allies on events, meetings, government legislation, and supports and services
- Raising awarenesswithin the general public on issues that affect people labelled with intellectual disabilities
- Building relationshipsand disability advocacy networks within Eastern Ontario
- Increasing DANEO’s membershipin order to have a strong community voice in Eastern Ontario