The Disability Advocacy Network of Eastern Ontario (DANEO) is a network of people, including those labelled with an intellectual/development impairment, their families, friends and allies.
We advocate for the rights of citizens labelled with an intellectual/developmental disability to have access to the same opportunities and choices as other Ontarians.
Our advocacy is based on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), to which Canada is a signatory.
We promote these rights by:
- Exploring issues impacting individuals with an intellectual impairment, their families, allies and support networks in our community.
- Sharing information and ideas among citizens labelled with an intellectual impairment, their families, allies and community organizations, service providers and decision-makers.
- Raising awareness within the general public on issues that affect people labelled with an intellectual disability.
- Building relationships with Disability Advocacy Networks within Eastern Ontario and across the province.
- Representing individuals with an intellectual impairment, their families, and networks on local and provincial committees, in consultations and working groups to improve supports and services.
- Increasing DANEO’s membership to build a strong community voice in Eastern Ontario.